Borneo Cinema, Bandar Seri Begawan

I know I am a part time historian cause I write and do research on Brunei history, I am also a philatelist because I collect Brunei stamps, first day covers and related philatelic materials and I am also a numismatist because I collect Brunei currency notes, coins from ancient to modern times as well as other currencies. What most people do not know that I am also a deltiologist. And no, this has no connection to any of the religious '-ologist' - deltiologist is someone who collects postcards.

As a Brunei deltiologist, I buy old Brunei postcards because it has something to do with my primary hobby of being a historian. The old Brunei postcards tell me what's going in Brunei generally in the 1950s and 1960s. I do not have postcards going beyond those times. But I do have photos and pictures of postcards issued in the 1920s and 1930s.

Last night I was going through my collection and was looking closely at this particular one:


Most Bruneian would be aware of this scene. In the background is the Kampong Ayer and the Brunei Wharf complete with a ship berthing. The white road is the uncompleted road connecting to Jalan Stoney. There is no SOAS mosque yet. On the foreground, we can see the old wooden barracks for the police station. There is the Jardine Wharf building, then considered one of the most modern building in Brunei. The interesting bit is the building under construction in the middle of the photo.

What I did not realise is that this is the Borneo Cinema under construction. I was under the impression that this building was much older than the 1950s but apparently I am wrong.

Comments

UcingItam said…
I passed by Borneo Cinema this afternoon after Friday prayers at SOAS mosque, sad to see the cinema is now deserted.

I still remember the cinemas in Bandar from my childhood.. Panggong Boon Pang, used to be pasar malam behind it. Another one is Seri Theather in Batu 1.
Anonymous said…
so many damaged to this building,it is now abandoned..it is based on a lease land?has the leased ended?will they demolish this building?...I keep asking this to me and my family each time we pass this building.

Popular posts from this blog

Brunei Royal Wedding 2015: Profile of Royal Bride Dayangku Raabi'atul Adawiyyah

Family Titles in Brunei

Pulau Cermin - Brunei's Historic Island